E34 Strut Cartridge Replacement

Hi Guys

I need to replace the shock absorber cartridges on my 1990 525i.  I went to
buy some replacements but imagine my surprise when the chap in the shop said
that he wouldn't sell them to me unless "I could satisfy him I knew what I
was doing".  Apparently they are tricky and "I could do myself an injury".

Unwanted patronisation aside, (must be something about my grey hair and
wrinkles...) I asked around and it seems these things do have a bit of a
reputation for difficulty;  something about the top nut being difficult to
get on when reassembling the strut - the cartridge sits well down in the
strut housing?

Has anyone done this job lately?  Is there a trick to it?  Do I need a
special non-standard spring compressor?  The Bentley Manual mentions no
difficulties at all except the obvious stuff like using a new nut and making
sure you get the spring compressor on right or risk losing your
eye/hand/finger etc...

BTW has anyone used the Bilstein inserts?  Not all suppliers refuse to
supply these weapons of mass amputation, and I have been offered a pair for
$NZ280 which is about $US150.  Also available for the same price are
Japanese manufactured KYBs, which I haven't heard of before.  Or I could
purchase OE from the dealer for a mere $US440 the pair.

Kind regards

Chris Northover

- ---