Cold weather woes

Well it finally turned cold here in northwest Wisconsin (below zero F.) Good
time to install the UUC short shift kit in the '96 328i. I love the
snick-snick feel of the gearshift now.  Bad news is that with this cold snap,
my heater fan or something near it, seems be be running on long after I turn
off the engine and remove the key.  Tonight I heard this unusual fan-like
noise for over 15 minutes, till I got bored and cold and went in the house. At
30 minutes I went back out and the sound had quit. Is this 'normal'?  Is the
main heater fan continuing to run?  I have heard there is a small temperature
sensing fan in that area....could that thing be running on?  Only other
symptom is that the heat doesn't seem to come out very hot, even when I set
the cabin temp to 85 or 90 degrees.

Thanks,
Don Bredle

End of bmw-digest V9 #2347