RE: engine cuts out at idle - e36 UPDATE

"Noordien, Igshaan" <in1@domain.elided> wrote:

> Last night I started working through an Inspection II and on removing
> the plugs, two of them were covered in oil.  Not the actual electrodes
> but the top halve of the plugs.  So I'm thinking oil is leaking past
> the cylinder head cover gasket/spark plug hole gaskets and into the
> spark plug holes.  Could this be causing the cutout at idle/bad idle?

Igshaan,
What you are describing is indeed a leaking valve cover gaskets. The set
(perimeter and two spark hole gaskets) sell for $10 in the US and are a
very simple DIY job to swap.
It is not good to bath spark plugs/coils in oil. If you short the coil it
may fry the DME.
Some people suggest that bathing plugs/coils in oil leads to premature
coil failure. Personally, I don't see how a few drops of oil can do all
that damage, but long story short do fix the leak ASAP.

> Also on inspecting the throttle body found the throttle cable to
> have too much slack as well as not opening the valve fully at full
> pedal depression (could be the cause of lackluster performance lately)
> - adjusted as per Haynes to 0.5mm play at the valve .

If your throttle cables have sagged enough to not fully open the throttle
plate at WOT, than you would obviously have a bit of a performance
handicap.

> The inside of the 'throttle valve air feeder hose' was lightly coated
> in oil - should I be concerned?

Don't worry about it.

alex f