Wiper Blades

Robert A. Virzi writes:

Subject: Wiper blades a dealer part?

I was looking around for replacement wiper blades ('99 528ti) this
weekend and I was very surprised to find that none of the local shops
stock them.  One of the guys in a local NAPA told me, "Forget it.
Many have tried, none succeeded.  Visit the dealer."

So, has anyone on the list got a solution?  The connection between
the wiper arm and the blade is indeed some strange beast.  But what
about swapping just the rubber itself?  That seemed to be more
standard and I can't believe there isn't a non-dealer way to replace
such a simple item.
		-Bob

- -------------
I am always amazed to extent to which some people will go to avoid going to
a BMW dealer.
To directly address your question "what about swapping the rubber itself" -
if you ask a BMW parts guy for this he will (or should) say sure - that is
part # 61 61 8 217 711 (both rubbers - pull out old, cut the new to same
length (careful different length on each side) , insert in the metal
retainer and slide in.
Make sure you get the metal retainer tabs caught at the end to prevent the
blades sliding out the end - inspect carefully before you pull old ones out.

Or you can order the whole wiper blade unit with the rubber installed - but
that is more expensive.

Cheers
Jim Cash