Re: Bipass Oil Filtration Systems

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stephen Hutchison wrote:

> Does anyone go to the extent of running one of theses systems on a
> BMW? The logic makes sense, but is it really practical or needed?
>
> Amsoil makes a neat one that combines the full flow and bipsass
> filter on one remote mount which is connected to a spin-on adapter
> plate at the normal full flow filter location...

 The logic is that the by-pass filter removes particles smaller than 1
micron, on the theory that particles in the 5-20 micron range are
responsible for 60% of all engine wear.  Full flow filters only filter
down to about 25 microns.
 This is great if you drive a lot of miles, want to maintain the
highest standards of cleanliness, and like the long drain intervals.
Some of these guys are going 2 or 300k miles with only filter changes.
 The downside is extra plumbing, meaning more places for oil to leak
out.  Also, if your engine is still ok at 250k miles with normal
maintenance, one would argue what's the point?  The body is probably
falling off at that point anyhow.
 I put one on my e30, but there isn't really room for the dual remote
setup, just the single external by-pass filter.  But I plan on keeping
my e30 forever, so in my mind it's worth it.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro