re: Aluminum Valve cover cleaning

re: Aluminum Valve Cover cleaning

     I agree, real valve covers aren't plastic.
I used to clean them with Naval Jelly and steel wool.
Corrosives and elbow grease.
     Be _sure to wear good rubber gloves before
handling Naval Jelly.

     After good cleaning, I gave the valve covers a
few light coats of silver exhaust paint.  Then baked
it in an oven.  Then a few more coats and baked some
more.

    Btw warm the valve cover in an oven before the
first coat of paint.  That gives excellent adhesion.
Paint the successive coats while warm too.
     The resulting finish is a shiny silver that is
durable and stays shiny over time.

  Probably a good idea to open a few windows while
baking the paint.

Don't forget to do the cam gear cover too. Why not
also paint the intake manifold and front cover,
distributor flange, and motor mount brackets too, if
you have the these parts disassembled.
     Glass beading also will enhance the cast aluminum
surface.

     I've also seen the aluminum valve covers polished
to a mirror smooth shine, same as on nice alloy wheels.
Takes tons of elbow grease and time, but is truly the
nicest valve cover finish available.
Enjoy,

'jk