Re: was resistor in the O2 loop now AFM flap shennanigans

Well, I thought this was well-known, but a lot of people have
asked about it.  First off, don't expect a miracle here.  This
mod is a fine-tuning of the fuel system, the difference this
makes will depend greatly on the other mods which have been done.

Also, do this at your own risk... you can damage the AFM, or your
cat, the engine, fail emissions specs., etc.

Remove the square black cap of the AFM (it's held by an adhesive
sealant) and underneath you'll find some electronics, and a black
gear.  A metal "finger" is located in a valley of the gear teeth
(it's a good idea to mark this valley with a Sharpie).  Push the
finger to the side, and turn the gear a notch or two at a time
ONLY.  I may be wrong here, but IIRC, Counter-Clockwise gives
richer mix, Clockwise gives leaner mix.

Theory: You're changing the tension of the flap, making it easier
or harder for air to open the flap.  The computer reads how far
the flap is open, and adjusts the fuel accordingly.  If the flap
opens easier, then more gas will be added to the mix, since the
computer thinks more air is coming in.

That's it.  Be sure to test this with either an exhaust analyser
(your local shop), an air/fuel mixture meter (~$60), or on a
dyno.  Or you can use a fancy multimeter with an averaging
function, and check the AVERAGE value of the O2 sensor output.

For reference:
Maximum power occurs at 12.6:1 (Labmda=0.86) A/F ratio
Stoichiometric occurs at 14.7:1 (Lambda=1) A/F ratio
Maximum fuel economy occurs at 15.4:1 (Lambda=1.05) A/F ratio

I think you should be able to reach max power by moving only 2 or
3 notches on the gear (depends on the engine).

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Rob