Replacing 96 E36 328IC ignition lock

creator who modeled that list off of Welty's ten years ago.

I have a 96 E36 328IC. My ignition lock started acting up about six months
ago. It would spin freely; if I forced the steering column to unlock, it
would click and I could start it. A couple days ago, it totally locked up.
Out of twenty tries now, I can get it to spin freely, but I can't remove
the lock cylinder even with the "special tool" inserted in the detent.

Questions: (1) am I going to have to drill the cylinder out? (2) the car
does not have the factory security system. Can I replace the lock cylinder
with one from a salvage car until I get one in one week's time from the
magic elves in the Black Forest?

Thanks in advance.

Dave