Re: ABS

"Gregory F. March" <march@domain.elided> wrote:

> And... I was taught that threshold braking is superior to abs (when
> you are paying attention!), but I wonder about going into a turn hot
> and having the inside wheels lock up.  Since they are locked, it
> requires more brake pedal action to get them spinning again (i.e. you
> have to let off the brake more than if it was spinning to start
> rotation again).
>
> Since abs can control individual wheels, and could prevent the inner
> wheels from locking, I'm wondering if you would get better results?

Greg,
I believe you are right. And so did F1 scrutineers when the outlawed ABS
in mid 80s.
When properly calibrated (rarely on street cars, even more so on Detroit
samples), 4-channel high frequence ABS system is the ultimate threshold
braking device for each of the four wheels. Infinitely adoptable to the
changing surface conditions.
Sorry, but unless you have four legs, a human will never manage to
threshold brake when it matters the most - during a turn. Not even in
theory.

> But then again, you'd loose a lot of pedal feel.

True, though a lot of that went out the window when power assisted brakes
became the norm.

alex f