Re: Koni vs Bilstein for street E36

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> wrote:

> I know about Lowell's story, as I also followed it on the E36 M3 list.
> But, I know of two people in the DC area who put Bilstein Sports on
> their otherwise stock suspension M3, and had no problems.  One was a
> '95 M3.  I don't remember what model year for the other.  And, no
> bumpstop cutting was done.  I've also read similar reports from other
> people on the E36 M3 list.

Ron,
My E36M3 Bilstein aversion is indeed largely based on Lowell's experience,
though I had since read of numerous similar stories on various forums.
Lowell (a fellow LSC member) had been pogo-ing on pristine E36M3 Bilstein
Sports for years before he decided to do something about.
If he wasn't mechanically adept, I am pretty sure he would still be
driving on BS's with uncut bump stops and arguing with everyone that the
more the car bounces the quicker it goes.
After five or six front suspension reassembly's he finally bit the bullet
and cut the BS' bump stops. His car now rides almost as good as mine (TC
Kline TrackLine suspension++).
FWIW, I've read conflicting reports on whether euro E36M3 springs (there
is more than one euro spring part #) are longer or shorter than US
counterparts. If they are indeed longer, that would account for BS's shock
bottoming out with US springs. Most people who install BS shocks with US
springs observe increased ride height up-front. That is until the cut the
bump stops.
And yes, Bilstein upside-down front shock configuration does offer
theoretical cooling benefits. Whether those are beneficial in a track
DE/CR environment, I can not say.

> It would be nice if someone from Bilstein could comment on this. Has
> anyone ever spoken to Bilstein and received an honest answer, either
> on the record or off the record?

Don't know.
I choose the path of least resistance and went with Konis.
As did Dinan and TCKline who at one time were selling Bilstein Sports.
Disclaimer: correlation does not imply causality.

alex f