E30 - '86 325E - ABS Question

I've got an ABS "problem" - the ABS seems to be working just fine,
although I believe it is coming on when it shouldn't.  The brake pedal
feels "crunchy" or "brittle" like it's vibrating at a high frequency,
which I am guessing is what it feels like when the ABS activates.

I learned to drive on a farm jeep and a tractor, and so pumping and
breaking out of a skid are skills which I learned as a child.  I don't
particularly mind having ABS but I don't use it, and am likely to lighten
up the pressure on the pedal if I get into a skid/slide situation.  I
guess I just don't want to learn a new style of driving, so I've never
tried to slide with it activated.  In any case - can someone confirm this
is what I'm feeling?  I do believe I can hear a motor activating. If
indeed it is just the ABS activating, then any thoughts as to the problem
of false triggers would be appreciated.

I notice this most when the car is cold, and I'm making a low-speed turn
while braking.  It happens more often while backing up than going forward.
Typically it happens as I'm backing out of my driveway or pulling into a
parking slot.  The key is that the wheels are turned, so I think it's a
front-end problem.  Once the car is warm, the problem isn't apparent.  I
suppose I could just start replacing the sensors, or disconnecting one at
a time until I find the problem sensor, but I'm lazy, so I'm hoping
someone else has experienced a case of "the right front sensor always
fails prematurely on these cars," and can give me a shortcut.  Yes, I
could just disconnect the ABS, as I've noted others have done, but I'd
rather keep everything working on this car rather than start the
inevitable slippery slope.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott Ruffner
Computer Systems Senior Engineer       Computer Science Department
ruffner@domain.elided                University of Virginia
(434)982-2219                    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jpr9c