Re: On Board Computer Swap E30

Mark <mbolmida@domain.elided> wrote:
> I have a '91 318is and I'd like to put a 13 button OBC in.
> I currently have the 6 or 8 button. I was wondering if this would
> be a straight swap,

Mark,
It's relatively straight forward, but does require some rewiring.

> thinking that they'd install the complete (best) harness and
> then use whatever OBI.

Unfortunately not.
The OBC and mini-OBC use two separate wiring harnesses with different
plugs.

> Can anyone give any information / experience? Anything you can
> give would be appreciated!

To retrofit full OBC you will need a new display/OBC-box with the correct
coding plug and at least the full-OBC wiring harness.
Optionally, you can procure and install the OBC-friendly turn signal stalk
(push in to change OBC modes), OBC alarm horn and OBC coding box.

Feel free to drop me a line for details. I did the same retrofit on my
ex-E30 6-8 years ago during three lunch breaks in a parking lot.

alex f