Re: E36 M3 head gasket and transmission seal

"Alan Leung" <alanleung100@domain.elided> wrote:
> I had my 95 M3 in the shop for driver's side lower control arm and tie
> rod assembly replaced yesterday and the tech found additional issues:
> 1) they told me the passenger's side tie rod is seized up and cannot be
> adjusted for alignment and a new tie rod has to be installed. Personally
> I haven't heard of this problem on E36. Is that likely to be legitimate?

Alan,
I've never heard of '95 M3s requiring front control arm replacements
either. At least not in the South. How many miles on the car? Where do you
live? Rust belt? Did you hit something or went off roading by any chance?
If so, anything is possible.

> 2) they notice some oil leak and say that the head gasket *correction -
> valve cover gasket* has to be replaced. Is there anything else I should
> have them do while they are at it?

Valve cover gasket seeps are normal. A new perimeter and two spark plug
hole gaskets are $10 and a very straight forward DIY.
Spark plugs and coil will need to come out in the process. If you haven't
replace the former and the latter are not Bosch, consider replacing.

> I vaguely remember that valve springs on early M3's aren't as strong
> as the later model ones. Is this a good time to have them swapped out?

Hell no.
Add another $1+K to the job if you start tearing the engine apart.

> 3) they say that the transmission bushings are getting loose and the
> seal is also leaking.

Tranny bushings are normal. New OE ones are $40 and a simple DIY. You can
reinforce them with UUC sleeves if you like (another $60).
Which seal do they say is leaking? Rear engine? Tranny gaskets? Oil pan
gasket?

> Is there anything else I should have them do while they are at it?

Depending on the degree and source of leaks, the engine mounts and flex
disk may also be compromised.

> For the bushings I'm thinking about going with the UUC transmission
> enforcer package which includes the enforcers and their harder bushings.
> Has anyone had experience with those? How about the JT-Design
> transmission brace? Would this be a good addition to the UUC enforcer
> package?

How often do you track your car?
If less than two times/year, stick with OE bushings. Possibly with UUC
enforcement sleeves. The brace is an overkill.

> Is there anything else that should be looked at while the seal is
> being replaced?

Which seal?

alex f