Re: E36 M3 alignment spec

freestat@domain.elided wrote:
> Maybe I'm mis-understanding the whole alignment process, but I'll ask
> this question...
>
> If I take my STOCK E36 M3 (98) to a non-bmw shop for a Hunter alignment,
> can I get them to dial in more negative camber than the factory spec?

FS (got a name?),
The problem is not the equipment or the shop. Hunter alignment racks do
have the correct BMW alignment specs stored in them and a half-decent
wrench can align your car to those specs at any shop.
Unfortunately, on all E30/36/46 (3-series) BMWs, including your M3, the
front camber is not adjustable. The rear is somewhat adjustable. Stock
rear setting is around -1.5 degrees and you can push it into the -2 degree
range with stock rear control arms.
I had posted the BMW alignment specs the other day and IIRC the stock
front camber was somewhere around the -1 degree range. But it is non
adjustable and the front is where you need most of the extra negative
camber.
For track use you want somewhere north of -3.5 degrees camber on your
front outside wheel and between -2.5-3.5 on the rear wheels. Depending on
track, tire and driving style to name just a few variables.
You can get somewhat even tire wear on street/track car by setting both
front and rear camber to around -2-2.5 degrees. However, the outsides of
your front tires will still overheat on track while the insides will get
eaten up on the street.

> What is the factory spec range for this car and how far can it go?

Search the archives.

alex f