Re: E36 M3 alignment spec

"Diana and Mike Kohlbrenner" <kohlbren-m-d@domain.elided> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, I should not have been so over-generalizing in my statement above.
Shit happens and some cars may be delivered with a whacky alignment.
My sample size of 4 was spot on.
Mike's sample size of 2 was off.
Both sample sizes are way too small to draw any spastically valid
conclusions.

Mike, if this was a common problem with new bimmers you probably would
have heard from more than one other person ;-)

My humble suggestion is to not worry about it unless you notice unusual
tire wear pattern side-to-side.
Front and rear wear patters will be different. Front tires wear more on
the outside (the faster you go through the turns the more they wear). The
rears on the inside.
If you have the same size wheels/tires front and rear, you can rotate the
wheels. Or if your tires are directional, at least move them up/down the
same side of the car. That is against BMW's recommendation since you will
wind up with somewhat decreased traction until the tires wears into a new
front/rear pattern.

alex f

P.S.: FWIW, my wife's E36 was tracking straight but wearing the inside
right rear tire. Upon closer inspection the left rear control arm was
bent. Probably from a toe truck driver strapping it to the front and rear
control arms the one time the car was toed without me (E36 radiator neck
fiasco). Shit happens.