>>Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:55:07 -0500
From: "Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided>
Subject: re: antifreeze

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with BMW antifreeze, mixed with DISTILLED
WATER.  BMW antifreeze doesn't contain phosphates, and I believe that it's
also silicate-free.  Prestone (green) contains both.

Flush the system completely, and drain the fluids from the radiator AND the
engine block (there's a block drain plug on the right side of the engine,
toward the rear of the engine).  I used Lubro-Moly's cooling system flush to
clean things out (E34 525iT), and it did a good job.

Regarding Dex-Cool, there are many bad reports from people who either
converted to Dex-cool, or bought a car that was filled with Dex-Cool from
the factory.  Search the Internet for "dex-Cool" and you can find them.
Here's one note (of many) that I found:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/dexcool.html

I did the Dex-Cool antifreeze (and distilled water) switch several years ago
in my E30 318i, and ended up experiencing some of the problems with sludge
appearing in the radiator, fluctuating coolant temps, etc.  I switched back
to Prestone (and distilled water) and the problems went away.

Ron Buchalski