Re: E34 Central locking

Hi Gerry,

Your problem sounds similar to some issues I recently resolved in my E34
(92 525i).

See if this is the case: under the rear seat on the left side of the car,
is there a supplemental fuse box? And if you remove the cover, do you
have fuses, a handful of yellow relays, and two (or three) plastic boxes
about the size of a paperback book?

If so, those paperback book-sized boxes are probably green (one of them)
and black (the other one). They plug in and out, and can be easily
removed.

The black one is a Relay Module. It has a dozen or so relays which sit
in-line to control your windows, sunroof, locks, etc. That's likely what
generates the 'clicking' sound you describe.

The green box is a General Module, which contains a circuit board and
some logic to further control some of your supplemental systems.

When one or the other of those go bad, you might see the problems you're
seeing.

In my case, I had some wacky problems I couldn't reason out (eg, all the
driver side windows worked, the passenger side windows stopped, and at
one point if I activated the drivers window control it made the sunroof
go back). After beating my head against the wall for a few weeks, I
called up Vines Automotive and had them send me tested replacements
(pulls, which were about $150 total), I swapped them in, and instantly
all my problems went away.

(Well...not ALL my problems...but at least those having to do with the
car...)

Now the central locks work perfectly, as do all the window switches.
Definitely a do it yourself-er if you're willing to take the 15 minutes
to order from Vines (or any other aftermarket parts seller) and 30
minutes to pull the old ones out.

Good luck? 'Course this could be nothing even related to your problem.
But it worked for me.

Cheers,
Drew

It appears that on 12/2/2002 4:52 PM, Gerry Phillips at