E36 burnt smell, climate control no longer works! help?!!#@!@

ok, to start another great day.................

walk out to my car this morning, notice a burnt smell soon as i sit down, huh
weird,,,
start the car and all my climate control lights are on, a/c - recircle -
defrost... and the controls arent working right.  anyone have this happen? is
there a ecu for the climate control or is it just the switch? mine is the non
digital with knobs , 93 325is,  can i replace it with a digital? any help
apprec.  brizax@domain.elided

thanks