Re: diff cover ID?

Robert Anderson wrote:
> the E28 had 2 different styles of rear covers.
> The early cars are different than the later cars.

That explains it - the donor car was a US 84 533i.

> does either cover you have have the filler and
> the drain plug in it?   If the answer is the
> same for both then you have one of the strange
> early covers.

Both covers have two plugs and a vent.

> If the answer is different then you have
> a big diff versus a small diff.

The E30 cover fit fine, so I guess it's just an early E28 cover on a
E30/E28/E24/E23 "small diff" casing.  I apparently didn't look at early E28s
like 533s in my ETK search, didn't know to expect anything different.
That'll teach me to make assumptions.

> the M535i came with the "big diff" while all US
> cars came with the "small diff".

I thought the M535i was just an optioned-up 535i, but this is an actual
component difference.

Thanks for your help!  I'll go hunting for a late E28 cover, but not before
this week's trip to Grandma's...
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS http://bmwe30.net #1129 DAS KAR