diff cover ID?

Yesterday afternoon I set out to install a differential I bought used.  The
guy I bought it from thought it would bolt right up in my E28.  I thought so
too until I had both diffs sitting side-by-side on my garage floor, and
noticed their covers are different.  (Insert choice expletives here, and
take a break for a beer.)

The diff I removed from my E28 has the mounting point aligned with the left
top bolt on the cover.  The cover I got with the new diff has the mounting
point centered between the top two bolts, and maybe 5mm closer to the
casing.  Here are some diagrams to show what I mean.  "O" means a cover
bolt, "H" means the mounting point:

E28:     unknown:
+-O-O-+  +-O-O-+
| H   |  |  H  |
O     O  O     O
|     |  |     |
O     O  O     O
|     |  |     |
+-O-O-+  +-O-O-+

This unknown diff cover is stamped with BMW part number "1210436" which I
can't find in my Mobile Tradition parts CD-ROM.  I searched E28, E24 (old
and new), E23, E21, E12, E9, and E3, also the ///M versions of those
chassis, just in case any other cars used this style diff casing with just a
cover and output flange swap (like E30/E28).

I bought the diff with an E30 cover and output flanges in place, and the
unknown diff cover and flanges in a plastic bag.  It's unclear where the
seller got the unknown cover.  Any ideas what car this diff cover comes
from?
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS http://bmwe30.net #1129 DAS KAR