re: E30 engine problem

In a message dated 11/23/02 8:55:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, Tdb1946@domain.elided
writes:

<<  It will be  running fine, then suddenly engine quits running, no ignition
I suppose, but  a second later catches up again and runs fine for a while. >>

BTDT with my 88. It is the main engine relay which is dying. Eventually the
car will shut down for a period of time. When mine died for 20 minutes is
when I finally got around to replacing it. The low beam relay can be swapped
with it. I believe this relay is mounted near the drivers' side strut and not
with the group of relays near the fuse box.

Michel