E30 engine problem

My daughter's 89 325i suddenly developed a running problem. It will be
running fine, then suddenly engine quits running, no ignition I suppose, but
a second later catches up again and runs fine for a while. Problem is
intermittent, but is happening more often and stays "off" longer, sometimes
several seconds.Of course, the check engine light came on the first time this
happened, but went off later and comes on each time the car hiccups. I have
not tried yet to read the code. Should the code reveal the problem? Could
this be ECU going bad? When this occurs, gauges and radio stay on until
engine fires up again. Thanks for any help, ideas.
Tom