Re: 1993 525i Trans Program

Bill,

I hate to say this, but when this started happening to me in my '89 535i,
I ended up having to replace my auto transmission shortly afterward.  I
currently have about 168,000 miles on the clock and had to drop in a
factory rebuilt transmission about 3000 miles ago.  I hear that 165,000 is
a long time for one of these trannies to last.  I recall that when I would
get the trans programs message, my car would not go into fourth gear when
cruising.  I would have to pull over, turn the engine off, wait for about
30 seconds, and then start the engine again.  Sometimes I would have to do
this several times before the message went away.  Then the car would drive
as normal until the next time I got the message.  As time went on, the
message came more frequently, about once every other day.  That's when I
started looking into getting it replaced.  These transmissions are
notoriously finicky and I keep hearing that there isn't really anything
that can be done to extend their life.   I'm not sure that I believe that.
 All of my previous BMW's were 5 speed, so this is my first experience
with the automatic.  I love not having to shift gears in this stop and go
Atlanta traffic.  I'm not sure what the average lifespan is for these
trannies though.  Maybe some other list members can shed more light on
this issue.  I'd be interested to know as well.

Gerry A. Phillips
Atlanta CSC
800-934-7772 ext. 3712
770-724-3712