Re: <e28> gas smell

> 85 535i. Gas smell in the garage, and inside the car, even at 1/4 tank. Rust
> on the tank seams, but no puddles or obvious leaks. Panzer mechanic says
> some of the welded on breather tubes break, and the tank seams get porous.

Doug,

how old are your gas hoses?  My hoses dried out/cracked at the connection
to the breather pipes, (at the filler pipe) and any gas that made it
up there wicked through the cloth hose covering all the way into the
trunk.  My trunk stunk pretty awful especially on a full tank.
Not sure what the thinking was to justify putting the expansion tank
*inside* the car.

Quick and dirty fix was to slice off about an inch of hose where the
hose clamp is and then reattach.  I'd do this before concluding
your tank is rusted out.

So far so good in my case.  I need to swap out all the hoses
one of these days with new ones...

aaron

88 528e  81K miles