RE: <E28> gas smell

Hi Doug -

I had a similar fuel smell that I had a hard time locating. I changed all
the fuel lines in the engine compartment, examined all the steel fuel tubes,
changed the fuel injection o-rings, and still the smell was as strong as
ever. Then I posted it on the Digest, and someone correctly drew my
attention to the 3 fuel lines that connect the filler cap to the expansion
tank inside the trunk compartment. They were all leaking (very minute
amounts) around the connections, so I replaced them all (not easy given the
space allowed) and it was done. A tough diagnosis since there was no visible
leaking on the floor or anything. Another place to check is the lines that
connect the tank to the fuel pump in the trunk, for which there is a metal
cover on the trunk floor.

My guess is the MTBE additive to the fuel here in California deteriorated
the lines (as it did to many cars).

Good luck...

Eric