Re: bmw-digest V9 #2290

At 06:29 AM 11/15/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:20:59 -0500
>From: SEBRING222@domain.elided
>Subject: E30 Front Hub/Bearing Replacement
>
>What is the best method for generating the torque to remove the hub nut on
>an E30 (325ic)? Once the new hub is installed, how can you be reasonably
>accurate in tightening the new nut to the required 300 ft. lbs. ? Any help
>with this procedure would be very appreciated!
>Thank you.
>Jim Dougherty
>New Orleans

I used a 4 foot piece of steel pipe slid over the handle of my 1/2" drive
breaker bar.  Gentle yet firm (a combination useful everywhere, and not
just in the garage) pressure removed the hub nut. After replacement, I just
tightened the nut by feel to approximately the same torque, and it's been
running fine for the last 80,000 miles.

Tony.
87 325
237,000 miles and counting.....