Re: <E36> A/C Groaning noise.

Anup Lakare <alakare@domain.elided> wrote:
> My 94 E36 318i has been causing the A/C moaning sound when the A/C is
> engaged. This happens more when the outside temperature is low and when
> its raining. Some Search indicates that this has happened to may people
> and the fix is to replace the A/C expansion valve and NOT the
compressor,
> although some people seem to have replaced the compressor as well.

Anup,
My money is on an old flaky $5 AC belt, and none of the above.
Replace the belt first. Than contemplate the expensive possibilities.

> One gentleman has suggested that this can happen even if the system is
> overcharged and I should try purging some gas out, but I don't know ho
> to do this.

It's very simple but equally illegal.
There are two high/low pressure fill valves on the passenger side of the
engine bay. One covered with a blue, the other with a red plastic cap.

good luck,
alex f