Re: Funky headlamps

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:15:49 -0500 "Robert A. Virzi" <bob.virzi@domain.elided> wrote:

> >Are you referring to the "Angel Eyes", OE on 5ers and available
> >third-party for other models?

> That sounds like them.  City lights, angel eyes, all sound about
> right. I think the fact that they are tied to parking lights was the
> key to IDing them.

the angel eyes look a bit different from the city lights i mentioned,
although they're probably intended to have a similar function. the city
lights will make the entire headlight glow softly, as opposed to the angel
eyes look.

> So where does one find a conversion kit?

someone already posted a URL for a angel eyes kit for some bimmers.

for folks who want a city light style light on an older car (one that has
7" or 5 1/4" lights in the old standard format), nice e-code cibies are
available from Dan Stern (http://lighting.mbz.org/). he also sells nice
relay upgrade kits in case you need something like that (if you intend to
run high beams of more than 65 watts it's a good idea to upgrade older
cars, as their wiring was almost never designed for that kind of current
draw.)

if you're in new jersey (and possibly some other states) and doing one of
the e-code upgrades, save the old lamps for inspections. the e-code lights
lack the little alignment pips, and as i understand it, new jersey
inspectors actually expects those to be there.

richard
- --