Re: Cold Air Intake Question

DJLogan33@domain.elided wrote:

> I have seen a lot of information about COLD AIR INTAKE systems.
> Most of the performance enhancements claim "smoother throttle response"
> and "slight power jump in the higher RPMs", but no hard facts.

Dennis,
I have tried numerous CAI, stock and euro-airbox setups in my '95 M3.
Stock and euro-box were combined with stock paper as well as drop-in K&N
filters. Than the car was dynoed with the above setups on a DynoJet.

On my car (euroHFM and JimC chip), shielded cone K&N filter did provide a
4HP and 5 ft/# increase over stock paper filter.
The difference between the paper filter and drop-in K&N in both horsepower
and torque were below DynoJet's 1% margin of error.

Outcome?
My and my wife's E36 cars are both equipped with one euro and one stock
airbox and stock paper filters.
Not because they flow the best, sound and look the meanest or provided the
most power.
Because they filter the best and are the quietest on the road.

> I have not seen any technical details on increased HP or torque at
> different  RPM ranges.
> I would like to know the following:
> - Do the systems just provide COLD air to the intake system versus HOT
air?

Not exactly.
Both stock airbox and various CAI contraptions feed cold air to your
engine.
The 'cold air' part of the intake setup is there to imply that the large
cone filter (K&N or foam) is shielded from the rest of the engine. Thus
the air it sucks in is as clod as that of the stock setup.

> - Do they also increase the amount of air to the intake system?

No.
But large cone filter offer less resistance in the process of filtering
the incoming air.
At the expense of less effective filtering.

> - Are there graphs available to show the increased HP and torque at
> different RPMs?

Sure.
But unless that graph represents YOUR car with YOUR mods and YOUR level of
DME adaptation, plus you are 101% certain it was taken under honestly
controlled conditions and the outcome not modified in Photoshop, it is
worthless to YOU.

> I own a M Coupe that I have installed the Jim Conforti SHARK INJECTOR
> software. The SHARK INJECTOR advertisements did provide graphs showing
> increased HP and torque.
> I noticed a slight increase in HP and torque, after installing the SHARK

> INJECTOR, but I really question the increased HP and torque claims.

I've heard a lot of similar sentiments expressed about the OBDII
reprogramming. Regardless of whose code and what device was used to do the
reprogramming.
That's why my wife's engine programming is still stock.
On the other hand, my '95 M3 with OBDI, has JimC's chip and euro HFM
upgrade. Those, plus an ECIS CAI with big ass K&N filter, were good for
the maximum increase of ~30HP and ~30 ft/#'s. Mostly from the chip and
euroHFM.

> Jim Conforti, K&N as well as others market a COLD AIR INTAKE system for
the M
> Coupe, but I am reluctant to purchase one without more hard facts.
>
> If anyone has any hard facts on COLD AIR INTAKE system, please email me.

I do not know if the above qualifies as 'hard facts'.
The only hard fact I can provide is that YMMV.

alex f