re: Why Change Your Lifters When Its Likely Your Injectors

re: Why Change Your Lifters When Its Likely Your Injectors

Whoa hold on there.
Have you taken a good listen at your injectors?

There is the plastic cover over the injectors.
The purpose of the cover is twofold.  One is aesthetics.
The Other is to mute the sound of the injectors.  So remove that cover
and give yourself a chance to listen the the clattering for a while,
then likely realize its not your lifters after all.

Also, it is normal for injectors to get noisy over time.

A glaring examply of this confusion:
     I was picking up my car at a local shop and the Service Advisor
pointed out another //M3 just dropped off back in the shop after engine
work.
The shop had replaced the valves and pistons after the car had an
overrev.  The owner subsequently was complaining about "loud valve
taps".
The shop did not get to hear the car run prior to engine failure.

So I suggested they take a listen to the injectors.  The instant they
lifted the plastic injector cover, it became obvious the loud tapping
had nothing to do with the lifters.

I would also not want to R&R a head if not needed.  Many things could be
reassembled wrong by the inexperienced machanic resulting in wrong cam
timing or a _real_ valve tap.

Also, the bill sounds low at $1000. for all parts and labor.  Should be
$1500. + for a privateer and $2000.+ at dealer rates.

I hope this silences a lot of this noise about replacing lifters. hehe.

'jk