Re: E36 Lifters change

Jorge Bela Kindelan <jbela@domain.elided> wrote:
> Next week I am taking my 1992 325is to the indepent to have the very
> noisy lifters (hidraulic tappets?) changed. The estimate is about
> 1.000$.

Jorge,
Are you sure they need replacement?
M50 lifters are hydraulic and self adjusting. They are known to tap-tap
when the engine is first started (cold) or 5-10 minutes after hard driving
(g-forces). Than the oil pressure builds up, the lifter readjust and
return back to normal.
This is very common. Virtually all engines do this. I've been on various
lists for 6+ years and have never heard of anyone performing this repair
on their engines. Are you sure your mechanic is not shopping for a new
sail boat?

> I am doing at the same time the Inspection II, in the hope of saving
> some $$$. Is any other maintenance repair recommended while they are
> at work changing the lifters?

The two activities are entirely unrelated. You will not save anything.
Here, in the US, dealer attempt to charge $600+ for inspection II. Most
owners can perform that service for about $130 in supplies and at most
another $100 in tools.
Look here if you want to lear more:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/main.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=bmw+service+II