Cool Runnings (was e30 op. temp)

Re the cool running e 30...try getting an infrared thermometer, and shooting
the cylinder head next to the temp sender.... if it is silver you might need
to paint a small area black for a true reading (the thermoscans don't like
reflective surfaces)check the gage calibration this way.  You might try
changine the temp sender to check the gage if you don't want to pop the $100
for the neato thermoscan thermometer..Napa sells em..my favorite new toy!
It has a cool laser aimer too....

The thermostat is really the only thing that could make it run cool, and you
said you replaced that.. So I suspect the gage calibration or the sender....
you can try using electrical cleaner on the sender contacts.  You might also
try a battery jumper cable from the neg terminal to the actual engine
block..I have seen block grounds left off, or the alternatror ground to
block and body wires corroded terminals make gages read oddly .  There are
also grounds behind the instrument panel, to the body which can affect gage
readings.. you might want to clean and check them too.  If you ascertain
that the head is running at the right temp, and te gage is wrong, you could
just ignore the problem.

Dave Leonard.
91 325ic
88 735i