E36/E46

Ryan,
When I saw that you own a 164S, I had to reply.  You probably know more
than most people what a true sports sedan is capable of doing.  It's
difficult for any non-Italian car to have the same passion and soul as
an Italian car, but the E36 came damn close in my opinion.  It's a much
better car in terms of quality and will probably satisfy as much as the
Alfa does 90% of the time and sometimes even more so because of its more
balanced chassis.  It's so solid and has a very sharp steering and
suspension feel.  It's just a tight little car.

The E46 is much looser in comparison.  Early E46 cars had overboosted
steering and I don't think that the interior is as driver oriented as
the E36.  The current 330i has one heck of an engine, but still suffers
from losing that compact and tight feel that the E36 had.  I don't think
you could go wrong with any E36, especially the 328i (or M3).

Gary

Inter Auto Parts, Inc.
Parts and Accessories for European Automobiles
http://www.interautoparts.com