Re: Update on my cylinder head problems

Mike -

A similar thing just happened to me last week ... I snapped the rocker arm
for exhaust valve #4.  '88 535is, 140K miles.

In my situation of 140K miles, only 55K of which have been with known 3500
mile oil and filter changes (previous owners' maintenance history is sketchy,
at best; significant varnish buildup), a complete inspection and valve job
seems mandatory.

A few questions, if I might (hopefully not already answered in a previous
post I missed) ...

Perhaps just semantics, but didn't a broken rocker arm result in more than
what might generally be considered a 'miss'?  How long did this condition
exist before teardown?

How did a broken rocker arm contribute to oil seepage into the cylinder?
(Combustion chamber vacuum pulling oil past valve seals?!?)

Are you convinced that rocker arm failure was the primary failure mode?  If
so, how?  Evidence of lubrication problems, rocker arm to shaft seizure?

How many miles on your car/engine/head?  Did you consider doing more than
simply replacing the single broken rocker, as long as the head was off?

Thanks for any additional thoughts -- and best of luck with the repair.

Gerry O'Connor
Manhattan Beach, CA
BMW CCA - LA / SAE / NMA
'88 535is / '83 633CSi / '72 2002tii