From: kohlbren-m-d@domain.elided [mailto:kohlbren-m-d@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 3:20 PM
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Oil consumption by brand

I have no data to offer, but a question on one of your statements:

> When I change the oil I drain the engine for at least 24 hours, and tilt
> the car forward and to the right with jackstands to insure as full an
> oil drainage as possible.

How much oil do you get out in the last 23.75 hours that you don't get
out in the first 15 minutes of draining?

Perhaps more importantly, how much do you really think it matters that
some small fraction of a quart of dirty oil is diluted by the fresh oil
you pour in?

Just wondering,
Mike Kohlbrenner

- --