Re: Bosch Plugs.. Why Not Platinum??

Alex, I don't believe that the Bosch and NGK plugs for the M50/S50 ('95 M3)
engine have platinum electrodes.  I just replaced the plugs in my E34 525iT
(last weekend), and the electrodes don't look anything like what I've seen
on platinum plugs.

Here's a spark plug chart for BMWs:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/sparkplugchart.jpg

And here's the secret decoder ring for Bosch part numbers:

http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Webroot/static/en/produkte/zuendkerzen/zuendkerzenkunde/typen_gross.htm

It's in German, so I'm not sure what every field means, but the 'C' toward
the end of the BMW plug part numbers seems to mean Copper (Kupfer).  Older
BMWs (M10, perhaps M20) used silver-tipped plugs (my old E30 318i used
WR9DS, and according to the secret decoder ring, the 'S' means Silver
(Silber).

I also don't know why platinum plugs don't work well in BMWs.  But since BMW
doesn't recommend them, it's a safe bet to stay away from them.

- -rb