Re: 325ix spark plug wires

Rick Watson <ekiya@domain.elided> wrote:
>>Why are you interested in replacing OE plug wires in the
>>first place? Are they damaged? OEM Bosch wires are the
>>best and typically last the lifetime of the car.  Unless
>>you have a good reason to replace them, leave them alone.
>>If they are damaged and need to be replaced, do so with
>>OEM Bosch  wires. <<
>

> When good wires go bad: Forgive me all, but I'll ask some
> beginner questions.

Rick,
No need to apologize. It's great that you interested in learning more about
your car and are here asking all these questions.

> First, I have always assumed that you change the spark plug
> wires when you changed your plugs (or at least every 35k,
> and maybe the plugs a bit more.)  Is this incorrect?

Nope.
The wires do not really wear out by themselves and the aftermarket
manufacturer's claims of 'hotter sparks' form their wires are generally
bogus.

> What would tell me that my wires are bad, when my motor
> starts missing?  Arcing in the engine compartment?

Yes and yes.
You can also inspect the wires insulations for any cracks or signs of
damage/deterioration. When you do replace the plugs (W8LCR Bosch copper or
silver, not platinum) every 24K miles/2 years inspect the spark plug wire
ends. When you replace the distributor cap and rotor (every 100?K miles),
inspect the other end of the wires.
For what it's worth, my oldest bimmer is an '89 325i with 212K miles and
the wires are still fine.

> Why the OEM wires and not, as someone has suggested, the
> wires that woudl fit a Z and be much cheaper?

No idea.

alex f