Octane Boosters - Advise needed

>Apparently the engine had to be de-tuned to run on Regular gas to meet the
>USA DOT laws, because
>the instructions with the software states to use only "Premium" gas only.

That's because the chip is programmed to run on 92-93 Octane, IIRC.

>I am attending a Drivers School this weekend and I would like the car to run
>as good as possible.

What I do with the race car (and recommended by JimC) is put in 5-7 gallons
of 100 at the track. Combined with the 9-12 gallons of 91 in the tank, that
give me an effective octane of around 94. Seems to work so far. Octane
mixing is linear, so you can easily figure out how much you need - there's
also a mixing chart at www.76.com, where you can also look up stations that
carry 100 octane "race gas".

I haven't tried any octane boosters.

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - JimC SW & intake, pings sometimes on crappy CA 91
1993 325is #44 KP - JimC chip & intake, runs a mix of 91 & 100