Re: adjusting rear Koni (was: Need some suspension advice (e36))

"Bob Sutterfield" <Bob@domain.elided> wrote:

> Alex Fadeev wrote:
> > Doesn't matter which RSMs you buy. Get Gound-Control
> > (www.ground-control.com) ones if you want longer life
> > span or will be buying Koni Single Adjustable shocks
> > and will need to take them out to adjust.
>
> Our E30 wears single-adjustable Konis.  To adjust the rears, I remove
> the bolt to the trailing arm, slide down the dust shield, hold the
> collar at the top of the shaft just below the mount, push (one finger)
> the little button at the top of the cylinder while I turn the cylinder
> (rest of same hand) in the desired direction, replace the dust shield
> around the collar, and replace the bolt to the trailing arm.  I use JTD
> RSMs, and I've never had to remove the shock from the mount except when
> I replaced the little rubber donut.  Even then, the shock stayed bolted
> in place at the bottom.
>
> E36 might be different, I've never done this to one of those.

Bob,
Thanks for the E30 description.
E36s are similar in design/suspension setup with two important exceptions:
1. The bump stop sits on the rear shock piston and prevents the shock from
fully compressing and engaging the internal adjustment mechanism.
2. Even if I slit and removed the bump stop, it would take the arms of a
guerrilla to compress the rear E36 M3 Koni SA shock on the car. The only
way I can adjust it is by removing it off the car and using my body weight
to compress it while I turn it. Not sexy, but with GC RSMs the whole
process takes less than 10 minutes per side.

alex f