Re: Octane vs. MPG

Well, this thread has certainly taken on a life of it's own!
...and created a lot of misinformation.

Here are some good links:

For a quick and dirty explanation:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

For the long, complete version:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part1.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part2.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part3.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part4.html

Tyler Stewart
'97 540i

"Michael Barrett" <mbarrett635@domain.elided>
Sent by: owner-bmw@domain.elided
09/19/2002 04:52 PM

        To:     bmw@domain.elided
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Octane vs. MPG

>Uh, to be clear, high octane gas render more energy. Ignition of a
>highly
>compressed air-gas mixture results in more energy than the >ignition of a

>less compressed mixture.

Uh, what's clear about your statement, other than it is incorrect?

Octane enhancers are added to fuel to retard detonation -- ergo, less
energy.  In the same engine, the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the

fewer BTU's per unit volume of fuel.

Octane does nothing to alter the compression of the air/fuel mixture, so I

don't know what you're talking about there.

Mike Barrett
BMW CCA 111632
93 850Ci
88 635CSi