Intermittant A/C Questions + Pesky BMW Gremlins

I recently purchased a 1997 M3 and think I've found a few pesky BMW
Gremlins.  Lately with the heat and all, I've started using the A/C more
often.  Occasionally, the A/C will turn off completely.  No matter what
I do it stays off - even if I toggle with the ac on /off button, etc.
Then a few minutes later it will come back on again - with and without
me messing with the controls even!

Any ideas what's going on here?

In a related note, I've noticed recently (not sure if this is the case
all the time or not) that this occurs most frequently when waiting at a
traffic light.  When I start moving again, the A/C kicks back on.

Let me know what the deal is with this!

Also, do I need to have the recycled air button on when I'm running A/C?
When I purchased my car the dealer told me I needed to hit that
everytime I use A/C.  He made it sound like I could break something if I
didn't.  Does that really effect anything other than recycling the air?
i.e. will it damage the a/c system if I don't/do use it?

Let me know!
- -Mike

End of bmw-digest V9 #2235