<E39> 17" snow tires?

What do 528i owners with 17" wheels do for snow tires?

I have the wagon with sport package (17" wheels).  I am trying to
decide if it is better to go with 17" 235/45 snows on my current
wheels, or pick up 16" wheels dedicated to the winter tires.   I'm
willing to sacrifice performance for traction during the winter, and
I am questioning whether the low profile snows will work very well.
Any experiences/suggestions appreciated.

- -Bob
'99 528it