anti-theft radio code

Group,
In my '88 325is there is a factory installed anti-theft radio.  I was having
some battery problems: the battery was too low to start the car, removed it,
charged it, didn't take a charge, refitted it, bump started the car, removed
old battery, installed new battery.  Now all is well with the electrical
system.

But the radio will not take the code.  I know I have the correct code.
 Yesterday I disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight (14+ hours).
This morning the radio still rejected the code.

Any ideas?  Please help.

Gary A.