E30 318i Missing at high rpm - help!

I have a 1985 318i with a Metric Mechanic 2.2L motor.  Since
I have owned the car, I have had an occasional miss at
greater than 5000 rpm.  Over the past couple of months, I
have replaced the coil, wires, plugs, rotor, cap and
distributor.  I know the distributor was a major
contributor, since the old one had sloppy shaft.  Missing
would start about 4800 rpm and get progressively worse.  Now
with the new (rebuilt BOSCH) distributor the problem is very
intermittent.  However it is disconcerting when at full
throttle at about 5500 rpm you occasionally get a miss.
Timing has been checked and is right on.

I know the ignition coil and ECU get the signal from the
pulser on the distributor.  All wiring has been checked and
is tests OK.  I have checked for vacuum leaks, airflow
meter, throttle position, ECU wiring.  All appears to be OK.
Idle is fine and any engine speed below 5500rpm is great.  I
just want to enjoy the full potential of the motor, since it
really comes alive at about 4000 rpm and pulls strongly to
redline.

Any thoughts of what to check, change, etc. would be
appreciated!

Georg
87 535is AKA MOCK 5
85 318i w/Metric Mechanic 2.2L - AKA "Missy"