Re: Door weatherstripping

"Rick Gutierrez" <rickg@domain.elided>
> Recently I tried to have the front door glass tinted on my '94 525.
> I've found out that the weatherstrip is scratching the tint film
> when the windows are lowered, so I need to replace this in both doors.

Rick,
Are you sure it's the weather-strip and not the window guides?
I had the latter after the plastic slides connecting the window glass to
the guides broke. But I guess the former is also possible if you have a lot
of debris stuck in the felt on the bottom weather-strip.

> Has anyone ever replaced this, and how involved and $$$ is this job?

If it's anything like the E36s, the top/side weather stripping is only
pressed onto the window frame. The bottom piece is clipped to the door
frame under the interior door panel.
If I were you, I would unclip the interior door panel: unscrew the door
handle, remove the door release lever frame; now get a wooden block/masked
screw driver between the door and the panel; locate the plastic clips
holding the two together and lift them out of the mounting holes. You may
break one or two in the process, but they are cheap to replace.
With the interior door panel out of the way, slide the lower felt weather
strip out and thoroughly clean or replace it.
Reassemble everything (push the door panel's clips back into the door
holes) and pat yourself on the back.
This exercise may take you all of 1-2 hours first time around, 15 minutes
second.

hope this helps,
alex f