Re: <E28> Hot shifter knob, excess heat.

There is a rubber boot underneath the shift knob and shifter boot.
This rubber part may become worn/torn/lost etc.  It dampens sound and
keeps the heat from the exhaust and transmission from travelling up
into the console.  Inspect your boot by pulling off the knob and
shifter boot.  If you can see the tranny/driveshaft/exhaust, you're
missing the boot and you should replace it if you want the heat to go
away.  Check it for tears and such if it is in fact there.

If it is there and in good condition, check to see that it seals
properly against the sheet metal between you and the ground.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure what to tell you.

- -Robert