Re: Auto Transmission Service

> I'll bet Nate is talking about flushing out all the fluid that can be
> drained by removing the tranny and torque converter pans. That plus the new
> filter. To flush all of the fluid out of the system (cooler lines and all)
> requires hardware only a dealer can justify owning. Speaking of the devil,
> the first Dallas dealer I called will gladly perform complete tranny fluid
> flush for $17/quart of new juice and 3 hours of labor ($93/hour).
> Since the partial flush and refill with RedLine D4ATF is what local Dallas
> area independent shops are recommending, that is exactly the service I will
> be performing on my wife's 50K mile '98 328i.

Mixing different ATF fluids........hmm. Only for the bold.

> > The two 5HP30's at over 200,000 miles, these are the (never rebuilt)
> > original equipment units ?
> > Driven by conservative or "sporting" drivers ?
>
> I've checked with two Lone Start service advisors and both confirm
> increasingly frequent sightings of 200+K mile GM/ZF slush boxes.
> Non-rebuild, non-babied and some not particularly well maintained....

I wouldn't buy a car with 100K on the automatic without expecting to replace
it ( my experience.....)
Btw, this was first I have heard about. Most of the big 540/740 birds w/100K+
that I looked at : all had  auto trans issues.......

> Based on the information I've collected over the last two weeks, I'm forced
> to draw the following two conclusions:
> 1. Henry's claims of massively failing GM/ZM automatics in under 125K mils
> is unsubstantiated scare mongering. Most of the heavily driven E36 cars are
> crossing the 200K mile mark without any transmission issues.

Whoa........flame on!

I will assert that.......while the exception may reach ~200K miles,
a reasonable expectation of service is ~125K.
My observations........and the point of my posts.
No fear mongering...... promoted here.

> 2. There are a lot of insinuations originating from clueless BMW dealers
> and a few BMW-Digest posters on the subject of partially or completely
> flushing lifetime fluid out of GM/ZM slush boxes. "All or nothing" and
> "your transmission will fail if you touch it" rumours are bullshit. Filling
> these boxes with RedLine D4 ATF is the recommended course of action for
> anyone who wants to have his/her slush-box shift well past 200K miles.

Gee.......we just had an 95  E36 with the GM THRM1 trans with exactly 125K, we
dropped the pan replaced the filter and fluid with the correct Dexron 3. The
trans failed a week later...........
It wasn't the "service" which killed it......the trans was at the end of it's
service life.
Who knew......?

Stay calm......

Regards,