Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

Whoa......!

Argue......?
This is a discussion about service life information absolutely not
available from BMW or ZF.....

However, If we read the "tea leaves" of the Certified Pre-Owned BMW
program, the maximum mileage the warranty can be in effect is
110K......this suggests that the engineers at BMW have calculated that
the potential expense of offering a warranty over the 110K mileage is
not a prudent business decision.
Furthermore, extended warrantees from insurance companies will not
insure a vehicle with over 100K miles....

Quote:
To be eligible for enrollment in the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Program, a late-model vehicle must be in service for at least six months
or have more than 6,000 miles but less than 60,000 miles on the
odometer. They must pass an extensive examination  a thorough and
rigorous inspection by BMW factory-trained technicians.
Every Certified Pre-Owned BMW is backed by a special BMW Protection Plan
which provides coverage on the car for up to two years or 50,000 miles
(whichever comes first) from the date of expiration of the 4-year/50,000
mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.1

The 125K mileage figure I have suggested for the "average expected
service" life of the  automatic transmissions is probably not far from
the mark. Indeed, my own ZF 4HP22H started "creeping forward
in Neutral" at 123K miles.....and it was meticulously serviced and
operated.

Easy now.....

Henri