1999 328i front chain noise

I have a 1999 (E-46) 328i with 95,000 miles.  A day ago I noticed a noise as
wife brought car into garage.  Sounds like a bit of chain slap as you rev car.
No engine error dashboard codes, but I haven't been able to check yet with the
code reader.  There are three chains on front of 328i engine --- one from
crank to cams -- vanos chain between cams, and chain from crank down to oil
pump in pan ---

Anyone with thoughts or experience on which goes and how fast from when you
hear a noise ?????

High mileage E36 328's probably have a similar chain arrangement.

I will investigate a bit then take to either local repair guy or dealer --
neither of which has ever seen my car or which I have experience with either.
thx Dale