RE: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

- -----Original Message-----
From: Henri Baccouche [mailto:henrib@domain.elided]

> No.......
>
> This is technology moving forward..... they have moved the
> drivetrain as close to the center of the vehicle for the
> best handling characteristics. There is no room for the
> trans dipstick...

I don't call a transmission that needs replacement after
only 125K miles "moving forward".

> ...and further more the advance of lubricant technology
> makes the "lifetime" fluids possible.

The only way I'll buy that is if "lifetime" is defined as
"lifetime of the warranty".

You are going to have a hard time convincing me that ANY
fluid will still be "good" after so many miles.  And I'm
one who thinks that 3000 mile engine oil changes are
excessive.

> As I see it, everybody is having a hard time accepting
> is the fact that these very complex first generation
> digital five speed automatics are :
>
> 1. Designed to be Maintenance free....if there is hardware
> problem, the unit is to exchanged. I can accept this as
> reasonable service routine, except the price is very high
> because there is a  relatively very small market for
> rebuilt ZF 5HP30 units. ( as an example)

You actually think that a 125K mile transmission (at any
cost) is acceptable?

> 2. Will probably not last 200K miles no matter what you
> do.......replacing the "lifetime" fluids is probably a
> waste of money. This is the point which irritates everybody
> who believed in the old routine of changing out the Dexron
> regularly made the trans last 200K.

How do you know this?

> These new fluids are not Dexron......

I realize this.  I have no problem with the existence of a
special fluid.  I have trouble with the claim that it will
last 125K miles.  And I have trouble with the concept that
it is somehow acceptable to have to drop huge money on a
new transmission at a mere 125K miles.

> ... If you examine your BMW or Mercedes or VW/Audi
> (funny.....!) or Porsche (funnier.....!) at 125K miles for
> mechanical integrity, for the most part a major rebuild of
> the various mechanical systems is indicated.

Shocks, suspension bushings, CV joints, wheel bearings, etc.
I can accept.  Engine, transmission and body should make it
to 200K miles these days.

> I put it to you that this is by design......... the complexity
> of the new cars makes the rebuild expensive.
>
> This becomes another marketing catalyst to make people trade
> in ( or recycle) and buy new........

No wonder the Japanese sell more cars.

Man, am I glad I have a 5-speed...

Regards,